Four years ago, when I took on the challenge of building the team for a new USAID project, I set out to create something different. As I wrote in a blog back in early 2017:
“I was very clear that I wanted to create a different kind of development project, based on providing an environment that would encourage people to stick around for the life of this 5-year effort (rare in the development business), one that valued openness, reflection, collaboration, creativity, and shared success. . . We were unified in our commitment to build a strong and supportive team first, and focus on the technical work next.”
Like Tony in his inaugural blog, I have some beliefs that drive my vision for Acute Incite. I believe that people perform better when they are part of teams and organizations that are driven by a clear purpose, creativity, and a collaborative approach. I believe that we all want a voice, and we want to have impact. I believe that a good leader inspires her teammates to find their voice, their gifts, and their strengths and to leverage those towards a common goal.
That was born out by four years of widely acknowledged success with the LEARN team’s culture and technical abilities. And now with Acute Incite, I believe we are building not just a different kind of team, but a different kind of company.
A company that:
- Strives to bring out the best in our team and our clients.
- Values collaborative and open leadership; active internal and external engagement; and appropriate and adaptive systems and processes.
- Sees our clients not as revenue sources, but as partners.
- Is driven by a hunger to help our partner-clients be mission- and vision-driven.
- Is fun and engaging to work for and with.
- Can see how, in helping its clients success, each one of us is helping contribute to a better world.
I believe that an organization’s culture is a leading indicator of its ability to sustain engagement with its staff and stakeholders to achieve its goals. We are committed to building that culture for Acute Incite, and to supporting our partner-clients in building and strengthening their own. By putting this approach at the forefront of how we operate and serve, I believe we will live into our intention to truly be a different kind of company.
Comment below or on Twitter (@piers_bocock)